A sale on Universal Audio’s UAD plugins has started on Plugin Boutique! UAD plugins require a hardware DSP accelerator or a Universal Audio DSP-equipped audio interface, but these products can also be used without hardware. There are products available that include both of the following two types and those that are native only.
UAD Native: operates on Mac and Windows without using UA hardware. Apollo Realtime & UAD-2: operates quickly with Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 hardware.
In this article, we will explain the latest sale information and overview of UAD plugins. Please use this information as a reference.
Get the Latest Discounts on UAD Native Plugins at Plugin Boutique – Limited Time Offer
Get the latest UAD plugin sale information at Plugin Boutique. Until around March 31st, 2023, various UAD products, including three bundles and individual plugins, are discounted. The following bundles are available:
- (3/31) Universal Audio “UAD Diamond Edition Bundle” 28 plugin bundle
- (3/31) Universal Audio “UAD Mix Edition Bundle” 23 plugin bundle
- (3/31) Universal Audio “UAD Creative Edition Bundle”10 plugin bundle
There are also products available that operate with or without hardware, including:
- (3/31) Universal Audio “1176 Classic Limiter Collection” 3 types of classic 1176FET compressor collection
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Teletronix LA2A Leveler Collection” 3 types of classic optical compressor collection
- (3/31) Universal Audio “API 2500 Bus Compressor” Legendary API 2500 model bus compressor
- (3/31) Universal Audio “API Vision Channel Strip” Legendary API console model channel strip
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Brigade Chorus Pedal” BOSS CE-1 model chorus pedal
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Century Tube Channel Strip” Vintage channel strip
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Galaxy Tape Echo” Roland RE-201 model tape echo
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Hitsville EQ Collection” EQ that shaped the legendary Motown sound
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Hitsville Reverb Chambers” Attic reverb that shaped the legendary Motown sound
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb” Legendary Lexicon digital reverb
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Oxide Tape Recorder” Analog tape sound emulation
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Pultec EQ Collection” Collection of Pultec model EQs
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Pure Plate Reverb” Plate reverb emulation
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Studer A800 Tape Recorder” Sound of the world’s most popular multi-channel tape machine
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Studio D Chorus” Roland Dimension D model analog widening effect
There are also native-only plugins available, including:
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Waterfall Rotary Speaker” Leslie 147 rotary speaker model
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Moog Minimoog” Minimoog model synth
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Opal Morphing Synth” Smooth morphing synth
- (3/31) Universal Audio “PolyMAX Synth” Vintage-inspired retro sound synth
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Ravel Grand Piano” Steinway Model B grand piano
- (3/31) Universal Audio “Waterfall B3 Organ” Hammond B3 organ model
Please note that UAD plugins require a hardware DSP accelerator or a Universal Audio DSP-equipped audio interface, but these products can also be used without hardware. There are two types of products available: those that operate with both hardware and Native, and those that are Native-only.
UAD Native: operates on Mac and Windows without using UA hardware.
Apollo Realtime & UAD-2: operates quickly with Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 hardware.
At Plugin Boutique, you can receive exclusive free bonuses when you purchase UAD plugins.
- macOS 10.15 Catalina, 11 Big Sur, 12 Monterey, 13 Ventura
- Windows 10 or Windows 11 (64-bit only Editions)
- Intel, AMD, or Apple silicon processor
- Internet connection to download software and authorize UADx plug-ins
- Free iLok account with iLok Cloud or iLok USB (2nd generation or higher)
- A physical iLok dongle is NOT required to activate this product
- Pro Tools 2022 (AAX)
- Logic Pro (Audio Units)
- Ableton Live 11 (VST 3, Audio Units)
- Cubase 12 (VST 3)
- Studio One 5 (VST 3)
- LUNA Recording System
What are UAD Plugins?
UAD plugins are a collection of plugins that execute powerful analog emulations on a dedicated DSP developed by Universal Audio. They include over 100 plugins co-developed with major brands in the audio industry.
Typically, UAD plugins require a hardware DSP accelerator or a Universal Audio DSP-equipped audio interface. Since plugins run on the DSP, they reduce the load on your computer. However, the amount of DSP usage depends on the product, with hardware DSPs varying in number from 1 (SOLO) to 2 (DUO), 4 (QUAD), 6 (HEXA), and 8 (OCTO), and each plugin having different DSP usage.
For more information, please see the official DSP usage chart. Some hardware products come with a set of plugins, including “Analog Classics Plus” and the option to choose three other plugins.
Please note that there are also products available, such as Sonnox, Softube, and Eventide, that are not UAD plugins but can be used as regular plugins.
With subscription UAD Spark or Plugin Boutique’s sale plugins, you can use them as regular Native plugins without hardware.
Top 10 Recommended UAD Plugins: Reviews and Descriptions
In this article, we will introduce some of the best plugins that are part of the plugin series released by Universal Audio. If you’re considering purchasing UAD plugins but aren’t sure which ones to get, this list will be a helpful reference.
Please note that the plugins were tested on an Apollo 8P QUAD system with two additional QUAD cards, resulting in a total of 12 cores. When working with sessions sampled at 96kHz, the DSP is maxed out and several tracks need to be frozen to prevent crashing.
Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Collection
- Model: Neve 1073
- Main features: Preamp, equalizer
This plugin is a great choice for important tracks and adds richness to the sound. By adjusting the trim and fader, you can easily achieve the desired effect. The EQ is also highly effective.
Helios Type 69 Preamp & EQ Collection
- Model: Helios Type 69
- Main features: Preamp, equalizer
This plugin has a different character than the Neve and is a good choice when you want to add some brightness to your sound.
1176 Classic Limiter Collection
- Model: Universal Audio 1176 Rev A, E, AE
- Main features: FET compressor
This compressor is highly reliable and can be used for a variety of applications. The three models in the collection have different characters, making them suitable for use with different instruments. Model A is great for guitar and bass, while E is better suited for leather goods, and AE is ideal for vocals.
Ampex ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder
*If bundled with Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder, the product is called “Magnetic Tape Bundle”
- Model: Ampex ATR-102
- Main features: Tape recorder simulator
This plugin is ideal for mastering and can help bring your sound together with just a few adjustments using the presets. It’s often used for the drum mix bus during mixing. While the Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder is also a great choice, the Ampex version provides a sharper sound.
EMT 140 Classic Plate Reverberator / EMT 250 Classic Electronic Reverb
*If bundled, the product is called “EMT Classic Reverb Bundle”
- Model: EMT 140, EMT 250
- Main features: Plate reverb, digital reverb
modulation effect These two reverbs are highly versatile and can be used in a variety of situations. The 140 model is particularly user-friendly, while the 250 model is a great choice for adding a long release to your vocal tracks.
AKG BX 20 Spring Reverb
- Model: AKG BX 20 reverb
- Main features: Spring reverb
This spring reverb is the king of its category and is a great choice when you want to add a substantial, long-tail reverb to your tracks. It’s best used with an instrument in mind.
Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects
- Model: Lexicon 480L
- Main features: Digital reverb
This reverb is one of the best-known and most reliable options available. It’s often used for live sound, as well as for mixing.
Fender ’55 Tweed Deluxe
- Model: Fender Tweed Deluxe
- Main features: Amp simulator
This amp simulator is one of the most frequently used plugins in the UAD lineup. It’s often used with Unison, but can also be recorded using the Line mode and reamped later to achieve the same effect as plugging a guitar directly into an amp.
What is Unison?
Unison is a feature that allows for recording as if passing through the original hardware, available on the Apollo audio interface. Unison-compatible UAD plugins are set to match the parameters of emulated preamp characteristics, such as physical input impedance and gain staging response.
Massenburg DesignWorks MDWEQ 5 Parametric EQ
- Main features: Equalizer
Although subtle, this EQ is important and perfect for use in cleaning up audio. It is a great EQ for use in subtraction. The ability to listen to the point of touch while adjusting the EQ makes it easy to find the desired point. It is an excellent EQ that allows you to clean up audio without it becoming distorted.
※MDWEQ 6 is also available for use with Pro Tools AAX (DSP&Native).
Chandler Limited Zener Limiter
- Model: Chandler Limited TG12413 Zener Limiter
- Main features: Limiter/Compressor
This is often used as a bus compressor. There are three types of functions: COMP1 (RS124 mode), COMP2 (intermediate mode), LIMITER (Fairchild660 mode), and a mode that adds harmonics without compression, and each is used selectively. It can be applied to MS sources, and can be used with various sources. It is used in groups that are summed into stems.
※Softube-developed products are also available in a regular VST, AU, AAX without DSP.
Take advantage of the UAD Plug-in sale at Plugin Boutique to access powerful analog emulations that run on Universal Audio’s dedicated DSP, including top industry brands developed in collaboration with Universal Audio, and enjoy exclusive freebies for buyers. Plus, with the ability to use select UAD plug-ins as normal native plug-ins without hardware, now is the perfect time to enhance your audio production workflow.